Monday, April 20, 2009

How well do you know yourself?

How well do you know yourself?

Me? I'm as confused as ever. ^.^

Over the past couple years, I have changed in many ways. My mind definitely has grown. Weirdly, though in general my life hasn't been as simple as it used to be; there are some parts of it which has become much simpler. Overall, the changes are for the better. But there are changes that I'm still not certain about its purpose.

Now, focusing on the improvement type changes; I know that there are still many ways for me to be better and many more challenges I'd like to overcome. Plus, plenty other things I'd like to achieve.

Time has always been my enemy. As my friends and family would testify, I'm often heard complaining about time. The 24-hour day is not long enough. The 2-days weekend totally does not compensate for the 40-working-hour a week. Strangely, I even at rare occasion complain about the 40-working-hour being not enough.

At the same time, I often waste my time doing mindless web-browsing, reading silly girlie book that makes me blush when I get asked about, or just wallowing over things. Yes - I am the very definition of procrastinator.

Shanon got me to listen to this talk on Ted by a guy called Tim Ferriss, titled "How to Feel Like the Incredible Hulk". During the talk, Tim passed on two important and major lessons to me.

First in the order of the topic being discussed in the talk was, Distinction: Effective Vs. Efficient. It might sound very much the same thing, but they are different.

The definition of effective is "having an intended or expected effect" or "producing a strong impression or response; striking" (The Free Dictionary). Efficient, is defined as "working or producing effectively without wasting effort, energy, or money" (The Free Dictionary).

Now, which is better? It all depends on the task. How often will you be doing the task in hand? If it's something that you'll have to do over and over again, it makes sense to think, plan and try to do it as efficient as possible. If, however, it is something that you will only get to do once or twice, you might want to do it effectively.

Keeping in mind that we probably won't get to make an impact as many times as we'd like; I dare say that - for the important and grand tasks - go with effective! :)

Second, the Parkinson's Law (wikipedia) states that:
"Work expands so as to fill the time alloted to it."

In doing things, we seem to always be able to create sufficient complexity to fill the need for complexity.

Oddly, this has just come to my realisation quite recently. I suppose, it's a really good coincidence for imprinting this useful knowledge on to my weak memory. Make deadline! Hmm.. as if life span is not deadline enough. :)

I know - and keep reminding myself - life is short. I need to get in action. Soon. No - scratch that. NOW!

Speaking of "now", I've been intrigued by the "The Power of Now" and the "4-Hour Work Week" (which happened to be written by Tim Ferriss!) books. I'll put them on my reading list. Though judging by the speed at which I'm reading the "What Colour is Your Parachute?" book, I'm not quite sure when they will actually be read. Tsk Tsk Tsk. What a procrastinator.

Last note before I go to bed, I hereby testify that lists are procrastinator's best friends.

No comments: