Saturday, October 07, 2006

Speaking English vs Speaking Your Own Native Language

I'll keep it simple.

I'm an Indonesian but I currently live in Melbourne, Australia.

A recent event caused me to think about what's the best to do in the following situation..

In an environment where all the people are non-Indonesian language speaking, a new person comes along and during introduction we find out that we come from same country. What should I do when that person start to speak to me in Indo?

Considering the fact that the people surrounding us might feel excluded, or even worse, feels like we're talking about them. On the other hand, this person is new, and it would be rude to him/her to reply in English. It's like 'Huh, I'm too cool to speak in Indo.'. Maybe? Not sure.

Honestly, the temptation to speak in our native language is extremely high. It's just easier and definitely require less thinking. But, I've been in the situation where someone else is speaking in a language that I don't understand to another person while I'm around and it is definitely uncomfortable.

So, I decided that I'll reply in Indo, just to explain that maybe we should speak in English, and then I supposed next time, when it was just the two of us, then we could speak in Indo. =)

No comments: