Friday, October 26, 2007

Calamity

I've never recalled seeing this word prior, but for some reason, it popped up on me twice in the past week.

First, through Zen's blog post: Purpose on the 22nd October 2007.
Then again today, through the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows book that I'm currently reading (refer page 286 Chapter 18: The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore).

It seems to be how our brain works: found something new - register the new thing - the new thing seems to keep reappearing - then after a while, our brain no longer register the new thing because it becomes used to the occurrence of the new (now old) thing.

Anyway - I thought it'd be good for me to note down the meaning of the word.
Definition of Calamity:
1. An event that brings terrible loss, lasting distress, or severe affliction; a disaster: A hurricane would be a calamity for this low-lying coastal region.
2. Dire distress resulting from loss or tragedy.
--taken from answers.com

Hmm.. I find it a little annoying that I keep connecting the word "calamity" to the word "calm" while they have such an opposite meaning.

26 October 2007:
I saw the word - again. See picture below...

Three times in a week! Now I surely will remember the meaning - at least for a longgggggggg time.

No comments: