Monday, January 22, 2007

My experience with Ubuntu Dapper

I've finally scrubbed off my Windows XP installation on my laptop and converted to Ubuntu.
This thing is soooooooooooooooooooooo cool. SERIOUSLY!!! I would never understand what's all the fuss is about until now. The best thing so far about it is the apt-get / aptitude function. This basically gets you to this globally shared LINUX/UNIX software repository (universe). It is SO GREAT not having to worry about downloading softwares from all these dodgy sites and worrying that it might crash your machine.
Love the look too. Love the simplicity of the design. See below.

I'm still figuring lots of things out - it's great. It's like my new toy for now. :) Trying lots of new softwares to find the right one for me.
I was annoyed with the fact that vlc doesn't load my last saved playlist for me (the way winamp does - when you close and reopen it automatically loads the last playlist you have when you close it). So I had to add directories everytime I start vlc. Then I found out a way - I can just modify my shortcut so it loads with a playlist - and I just have to make sure I save my playlist changes. It's a totally different way of thinking to Windows. With ubuntu, I kinda have to work a bit to get things done so that you can basically keep it as simple as you want or as modified as you want.
Another example is the wpa_psk security - it doesn't come as default; I had to download this package call wpa_supplicant. There's so many applications out there to try.
I've still got couple stuffs outstanding hehe :) I need to get wine working with my microsoft money; my cd database app; and most importantly work out the sync-ing with my o2 xda exec and my sony usb mp3 player. Will also need to find out why my SD-Card reader freeze the whole thing out and what is wrong with my CD/DVD burner!!!
But for now, I'm happy that I've decided on my torrent app and msn app figured out - I'm using kopete to connect to msn and ktorrent to maintain my torrents. :)))
Why didn't I get the Edgy version??? Not sure ... :)))
Mmmm my colleague asked me today "what is more important to me - money or time?" It is a d*mn tricky question. I know I can never buy time despite the amount of money that I have but --- it is very difficult to say that money is not as important as time too. I mean - time is EXTREMELY critical and I, for one, definitely couldn't agree more with that - but it doesn't hurt to have more money. We were talking bout my decision on whether or not I should resign from Coles. Anyway, I think I've made up my mind - it's time to close that chapter from my life and progress forward. =)
Ughh.... I'm very very very tired - had to stayed at work till 9 today - it is so un-healthy; I know. So, I'm going to bed early. Gnite!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was annoyed with the fact that vlc doesn't load my last saved playlist for me (the way winamp does - when you close and reopen it automatically loads the last playlist you have when you close it)

-> sudo apt get install xmms xmms-skins

Here is a skin that matches the default Ubuntu theme (http://anka.org/henrik/humanxmms/)