Thursday, December 20, 2007

Thought of the Day (20th December 2007)

I'm not quite sure of whether it is habitually on purpose cause it's the end of year or coincidentally, a few questions have been bubbling up in my head:
"How am I going with my life lately; socially, purpose-wise, happiness, financially?"
"Is there anything that I'd like to change and do differently?"
"Which parts of my life that I'd really like to keep the way it is at the moment cause it's 'AWESOME'?"

The title of the following article by Steve Pavlina yesterday (the 19th December 2007), "Love Your Work or Don’t Work at All" intrigued me.

In that article, he suggests that we
"Consider the following quote from Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet:"
Work is love made visible.
And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.
For if you bake bread with indifference, you bake a bitter bread that feeds but half man’s hunger.
And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes, your grudge distills a poison in the wine.
And if you sing though as angels, and love not the singing, you muffle man’s ears to the voices of the day and the voices of the night.

He open the article with the following question:
"Why is it that so many people are willing to tolerate work they don’t enjoy for the sake of a paycheck?"
In which he answer with his assumption of ...
"I think it’s because most of them simply don’t know what it’s really like to be in love with their work. Their fear is greater than their power, so they never make the leap into the unknown to find out what it’s like to work from love instead of for money."

Now, knowing that surely I don't "love" my work, I can help answer his question. The thing is, even though I don't necessarily "love" my work; I don't hate it either (I think :P). He might be right in saying that most of us don't know what it's really like to be in love with our work. I think some of us also think that it is unlikely for us to love work. Sure, I've read about people who love their jobs, but more often than not, people that I talk to DON'T love their job. They're just doing it for the money.
Also, I was conditioned from when I was a kid to make the best out of what I've got and that greedy-ness never result in good outcome. Hence, it doesn't seem right to stop doing what I neither love nor hate in looking for something that I love.

Question is, should I stop being lazy, get brave and make the leap into the unknown world of trying to find the work that I love?

No comments: