Friday, June 06, 2008

How to Avoid Wasting Food...

The latest 'thing' that INTRIGUES me a lot is... "How much of my weekly groceries don't get properly used up!!!"

As a Medan born Chinese Indonesian, I'm all about getting the most out of what I pay for! :P My mom is a firm believer in "wasting food is a SIN". At the same time, I also inherit my dad's love of trying out new and different type of food or restaurants. This hasn't been a problem, because I buy packaged food which lasts for quite a while.

For the past few months, I've been trying to cook instead of going out to eat, since it's easier to know how much calorie is in my food. This means buying weekly groceries. A lot of the time though, the fresh ingredients are sold in a much bigger portion that what recipes call for (Yup - no one sells 2 sticks of spring onion, 2 anchovy fillets, 1/2 cup of thickened cream, 3 tablespoons of coriander, or 1 tablespoon of parsley!!!) Grrrrr!!! What am I supposed to do with the rest of the materials???? Even without that, some of the fruits don't get consumed and are spoiled by mid-week and they too have to be thrown away!

Anyway - this drives me crazy! Then, it triggers my curiosity... How do other families handle this???

As usual, a little bit of web-research resulted in the following links:
* How to Reduce Waste and Save Money - Healthy Eating for Busy People - Dietriffic.com
* Easy Ways to Reduce Fruit and Veg Wastage - Healthy Eating for Busy People - Dietriffic.com
* Spoiled Rotten - Vegetarian Times
* Storage and Tools Top Tips - Love Food, Hate Waste
* Tigers & Strawberries » The First Step To Avoiding Food Waste: Efficient Storeroom Procedures
* Apartment Therapy The Kitchn | Tips and Tricks: How to Avoid Wasting Food
* How to avoid food waste | Make the most of your leftovers | The Sun |HomePage|Woman|Health| Fit Squad
Thought it might be useful for other people! :)

Cheerios.

No comments: