Monday, June 23, 2008

The Problem with Labelling...

Geez - it's been so long since I have been this sick.

I stayed home and watched the finale episode of the Desperate Housewives - 4th Season. A really good watch indeed.

Something that hits me right in the face from episode 16 was the general habit of labeling someone and why it is never right because of how dynamics we are. We are all capable of being good and bad at the same time. That's what makes us interesting.

It's easy to just label someone as something, e.g. someone who lie once as a liar, someone who steal once as a thief, someone who help someone else as a saint... but how long does this label last? How valid are they if they keep changing almost every second?

It's even easier to label an acquaintance and gossip about them to other people. But - really - what do we get from it? Why do something that might hurts other people's feeling (directly or indirectly)? And more importantly - why waste our time doing that if we are not getting anything out of it?

Something else that is just as important, I need to work on my desire to be labeled as something. I should use my realisation of the fact that I am a complex individual (most of us are) and stop trying to fit into a particular label. It's difficult enough to find time to do the things that I love to do and focus on the things that I genuinely care about. Why should I waste time on getting a particular label which has no meaning and especially when no one knows how long it will last anyway?

Just my thought.

No comments: