Friday, October 10, 2008

Post #499: Friday Afternoon Wisdom on Relationships

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."
-- The Dalai Lama
Yesterday I was reminded of how nice it feels to make someone else's day. Even a few hours after my friend told me I've given her "highlight of the week", I was still smiling and I remember thinking... "Hmm.. why do I feel that warm tingly feeling inside of me? Oh yes, it was because of what Lia said..".
I love and try to help out and be nice to people as much as I can... With especially rewarding appreciation like that, how can you not? They are definitely the best encouragement, don't you think? ;P (Note to self: It pays to practice being appreciative and grateful!)

"Success isn't how far you got,
but the distance you traveled from where you started."
-- Proverb
This year has been funny for me. I've changed a lot, mainly internally, yet I don't feel that I've changed that much (or maybe I do?).

I'm certain that I've changed for the better though. Why? Because these days, when I come across posts like these:
- "Create a Richer Life in 24 Hours or Less"
- "How to Make the Time for Your Personal Goals"
- "13 Things to Avoid When Changing Habits"
- "6 Tips for Finding Balance"
- "The Seven Deadly Sins of a Relationship";
I find myself ticking a few of the tips off cause I'm already doing that. Or cause I am already happy with my current situation in that area. It feels amazing.

I have always been lucky (and smart - quality over quantity!) with relationships and I am VERY grateful for it. I love the people close to me (well - most of the time :P), each of them are special with their own unique personality, mind and habits. But, in the past year or so, my views and appreciations of these relationships have definitely matured a lot (special thanks to my awesome mentor/partner, plus the blogs that I've been referencing here and there). My eyes are opened and I'm beginning to see and understand myself (and my itty bitty); which then allows me to think/reflect on those relationships and do things as I see fit.

This is definitely the change that I'm most grateful for, especially since for me, "Life is all about relationships". (It's not just me, check out Uplifting Your Soul!: Life is all about relationships.)

"Try not. Do... or do not. There is no 'try'."
-- Jedi Master Yoda
That's not to say that I'm not going to improve my life further. After all, there is no better life goal than to become a better person. Which reminds me, I still need to apply the tips from this post, "How To: Keep Your Home Clean Without a Maid" *LOL*.

Anyways, before you go, please spend a little bit of time reading these great tips on life in one of Leo's best post, "A Letter to My Son, on Starting Out In Life", @ Zen Habits. The "Life isn't a competition" is definitely an awesome reminder for me.

To close off, here's another really good reminder quote on relationships...
"Before you try to change others,
remember how hard it is to change yourself."
-- Bill Bluestein

Have an AWESOME weekend, people! :)

No comments: