Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Today's Word Lesson

"Food for thought" - This noun was used in the book that I'm reading at the moment, "Girl Meets Ape" by Chris Manby. I was intrigued to find out the actual definition of it. According to The Free Dictionary, it means...
1. anything that provides mental stimulus for thinking

"Excuse the pun" - This, I've heard many times and I think I know what it means, but this time I thought I'll find out properly what it means, once and for all.. It's a little tricky to find an actual legit reference to this saying, but this Yahoo! Answer helps...
... A pun is play on words; so when people say "excuse the pun" they mean, excuse the bad joke or the bad play on words.
You could say “I keep falling off my bike, but I just get right back on it and ride. I'm a firm believer in re-cycling.” This pun is just used as a bad joke. ...

No comments: