Monday, September 29, 2008

Define: Terrine

Last week at my usual book browsing session in Borders, I saw a picture of a Terrine dish in a recipe book. What is a Terrine dish?

According to Wikipedia,
Terrine "is a glazed earthenware (terracotta, French terre cuite) cooking dish with vertical sides and a tightly fitting lid, generally oblong or oval. Modern versions are also made of enameled cast-iron. By extension, the term also refers to food prepared and served in a terrine, mainly game and venison, brawn (head cheese) and pâtés. If it has been pressed and chilled, then turned out for serving in slices, a terrine becomes a pâté, which Julia Child called "a luxurious cold meatloaf"."

Here's an example photo of a terrine dish...
Image Credit: thepassionatecook: Red pepper, aubergine & scamorza terrine - a contribution to WTSIM!


Nice hmm? I like it very much.

Here's another example of a terrine savoury dish, Eel and Foie Gras Terrine Recipe, Rising Star Chef Yosuke Suga, L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon, New York 2007.

I think it creates an instant oomph and professional look to savoury food. Do you agree?

It definitely also creates a nice look for dessert, check out...
* A La Cuisine!: Coconut Panna Cotta and Pineapple Gelée Terrine (IMBB 9)
* CHOCOLATE TERRINE - recipe by Euros Owen

But in my humble opinion, the terrine dessert does not exude the same oomph as the savoury dish. Maybe because I've seen many terrine dessert in the past, but not savoury dish.

Oh well - just thought I'd share my recent discovery. I'd love to try preparing this type of dish, so I'll definitely be on the look out for a good recipe. :)

No comments: